The institution was founded as “Blackheath Football Club” in 1858 by old boys of Blackheath Proprietary School who played a “carrying” game of football made popular by Rugby School. When the old boys played against the current pupils supporters would shout for either “Club” or “School” accordingly. This is why to this day supporters of BFC shout for “Club”, not for “Blackheath”.
In 1863 the club developed the tactic of passing the ball from player to player as an alternative to the solo break and the “kick and follow-up”.
In 1863 Blackheath was a founder member of The Football Association which was formed at the Freemasons’ Tavern, Great Queen Street, on Lincoln Inn Fields, London 26 October 1863 with the intention to frame a code of laws that would embrace the best and most acceptable points of all the various methods of play under the one heading of “football“. Mr Francis Maule Campbell, a member of Blackheath, was elected treasurer. At the fifth meeting Campbell argued that hacking was an essential element of ‘football’ and that to eliminate hacking would “do away with all the courage and pluck from the game, and I will be bound over to bring over a lot of Frenchmen who would beat you with a week’s practice.” At the sixth meeting on 8 December Campbell withdrew Blackheath, explaining that the rules that the FA intended to adopt would destroy the game and all interest in it. Other rugby clubs followed this lead and did not join the Football Association. In this way the great divide between soccer and rugby took place.
In December 1870 Edwin Ash, secretary of Richmond Football Club published a letter in the papers which said, “Those who play the rugby-type game should meet to form a code of practice as various clubs play to rules which differ from others, which makes the game difficult to play.” On 26 January 1871 a meeting attended by representatives from 22 clubs was held in London at the Pall Mall Restaurant. As a result of this meeting the Rugby Football Union (RFU) was founded. Three lawyers who had been pupils at Rugby School drew up the first laws of the game which were approved in June 1871. The Club is one of seven of the original twenty-one clubs to have survived to this day.